Monday, October 9, 2017

Frustration, thy name is Women's Pockets

This has been driving me nuts. It took me a long time to even FIND work pants with pockets, as I need pockets for my job - required to have my phone on me at all time. However, even with pockets, If I sit down, it falls out. 
So this is not really a How to, more of a How I really ticked myself off tonight.

These are a pair of shorts I had purchased in the men's department this summer, because I was unable to find shorts that were work appropriate in the women's department, in three different stores. These are the pockets I want to emulate, because I love these shorts. Nothing ever fell out of them, and the pocket tapers with the angle of your arm, and is about 11 inches deep. 

This is the pair of women's dress slacks that I am attempting to fix first. I was hoping to be able to take a picture of the pocket, but even with the pants inside out, the pocket is hidden by this mesh flap. I'm assuming it is some type of stabilizing panel. However, you can still see that the pocket is less than 6 inches deep.


Here ya go! under the mesh, we can see that not only is the pocket 5 inches deep, but it tapers THE WRONG WAY. The deepest part is by the outside seam, not the side by the fly. Grrr.

So, here is what I want to do. I don't want to do the easy option, just cutting the pocket open and sewing in fabric, because that would leave a noticeable bump seam from the outside. I was originally going to use a flannel, but I want to reduce as much bulk as possible, so it wasn't as noticeable.  I finally went with this satiny remnant.

I measured out a length so that I could make about a 10 inch pocket. I made it so that the fold would be the bottom of the pocket. One side is longer than the other, the shorter side will be for the front. Sewing it right sides together, because I want the shiny sides being the ones the inside of the pocket.


Flipped around, we have 2 finished sides, and 2 open sides. 


Unfortunately, as is obvious from the above picture, it needed some ironing. I hate ironing. I stitched a quick line down the seam to make sure it stayed flat, & the extra support.


So here is what I'm trying to do. I'm trying to attach the new pocket as close to original seams as possible, to eliminate bunching or bulges. However the stupid panel mesh is very much in the way. I have pinned it back as best I can, but it is sewed in to the fly and the exterior hip seam, so there is no working around it. Tucked the sewn edge tight against the loose edge of the pocket. 


I pinned the longer edge as tight up against the waistband as I could. This last picture is the moment I realized that there was no way I could do any of this with the sewing machine - It was shortly after this that I realized I was not going to be able to finish this tonight. Dang fabric would NOT STAY PUT.  


Trying to figure this all out - how to even get to the other side of the pocket, how to sew up the last raw edge... my brain is all mushy. 
I need a shower. Will tackle this more with the sunlight.

No comments:

Post a Comment