Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Novel, day 12

I do not have a thousand words from yesterday, as I was not having a good day AT ALL, and I wrote 50 words, maybe. grumble. But, I wrote a ton of words today, and more than made up for it. I surpassed 20,000! Number 20k is highlighted for your enjoyment.
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

He stood, is crystal blue eyes smiling at the sight of them, and opened his arms for a hug.

“Father!”

Ivy giggled and jumped into the old man’s arms, hugging him fiercely. He took this in stride, swinging her through the air, and setting her down again. While he held his daughter with one arm, he turned his loving gaze to the two cousins, who curtsied in unison.

He scoffed, waving his hand at them. “Please girls, you know better. None of that from you, and none of that nonsense here. Meredith, I saw your work and the purple ribbons on them. Congratulations!

She smiled. “Thank you, Alexander, sir.”

“And Adina, I swear you have grown since I’ve seen you last. I hear you made it into the archery semifinals?” She nodded in agreement. “Well, that really wasn’t much of a surprise, was it?” He winked at her.

She smiled back at him, “No, sir, not a big one, anyway.”

He pulled Ivy in a sideways embrace. “If it is ok with you fine young ladies, I was hoping to spend some time with Ivy, just for a few moments. Do you mind?”

“Of course not, sir.” Meredith looked at Ivy. “We’ll meet at the cabin?”

She nodded, and the girls took their leave.

King Alexander de Trow took his daughter by the hand and wandered the displays. Ivy showed him the purple ribbon on her tea.

“Your mother would be so proud of you.”

Ivy heard the controlled pain in his voice. “How is she doing, father?”

He nodded. “She has her good days, and her bad days.” He gestured to a bench, then sat. “I had wanted to talk to you about her, and your sister.”

Ivy felt his concern, and sat opposite him. “I didn’t think you would send a Paige just to say hello. You could walk up to me in the Midway for that.”

“True, true... Ever since the madness took your mother, and your elder sister, you have been so strong, and I am so proud of you.”

Ivy sighed, “Their gifts are known to drive the owners mad. It’s something they were aware of, and had prepared for.”

Her father nodded. “I thank the gods that, though I only had daughters, that not all of them were blessed with the same gifts. Variety is important, you know.” He smiled at her. “You know, I am getting on in years, and with only daughters, well, I am starting to worry about our kingdom. About the continuation of my line.”

Ivy gave her father a rye look. “I assure you that with my healing ability, you will live for a long time yet.”

He laughed. “I agree that is true, but I would want to know my grandchildren, maybe even see one of them proclaimed princeps before I passes. Your younger sister is still so young, and still has so much to learn at the hands of the sisterhood.”

Ivy looked concerned. “Father, I hate to rush you when I can see so clearly you don’t want to be talking about this. Please, get to the point.”

He sighed. “The madness is getting strong in your older sister. Rose is degrading so much faster than your mother did… The council has advised, and I agree, that she can no longer be the expected crowned princess.”

Ivy went a little pale.

“I am here to inform you, that at the end of the fair, at the grand ball following, I am going to crown you as my heir.”

Ivy stared at her hands. She had been absent mindedly fiddling with the handkerchief for a while. She looked up to meet her father’s loving, shining eyes. “So soon? Why can’t it wait?”

He sighed. “At my age, by law, I cannot be without a designated heir. I was going to crown your sister at the winter’s ball, but your sister can no longer hold that role. When it was decided that you would wear the crown, both your mother and sister verified that it would be most favorable for us to do it at the ball, in the view of not only members of our kingdom, but the citizens and nobles of neighboring kingdoms as well. I couldn’t get an exact reason from them, too many variables, I suppose.”

They sat in silence for a while. “I am sorry to spring this on you, my pet, but I hope this is a good thing.” He put a hand on her cheek. “You will make a good queen, I know you will. You have a good heart, you’re compassionate and brave.”

Ivy sighed. “I know our laws, father. A queen, she needs a king.”

He nodded. “Yes, this is true. I know I’ve asked before, and I have tried not to push, not since that moron hurt you. But tell me, is there anyone in your life, my child? I would prefer you to make a love match, but the time is fast approaching that I will no longer be able to give you that option.”

Ivy shrugged. “I… I thought that thought maybe, I might have, but it is too soon, and now I’m not so sure, so no, I guess not.”

Ivy’s father nodded, holding his daughter’s hand. “I understand, my dear. I will give your possibilities some time. If there is even a possible suitor, I am willing to wait. But, once you are crowned, an engagement will need to be announced soon afterward. The kingdom will need assurance that they will have a king, and a line. I can not wait much longer.”

Ivy nodded, deep in thought. “I know, father. I will keep you updated, and I will think on what you have said. Do not take my reaction as my being upset about being the crowned princess. It’s… it’s just a lot, all at once.” She looked at her handkerchief, fiddling with the hem. “And your timing is a bit poor.”

1 comment:

  1. Very nice!!! Can't wait to see who her prince will end up being!!!! Jan F.W.

    ReplyDelete