Sunday, June 3, 2012

novel, Day 3


Meredith answered. “That is easy. I met Samuel at the last festival, two years ago. I was volunteering in the stables. I actually met Samuel’s horse before I met him. But I fell in love with the beast, so of course I fell in love with the rider.” The two of them shared a long look, to which Adina made gaging noises.

Devon seemed confused. “But you all were in the last competitions, but you didn’t know Samuel.”

Adina piped in. “I was busy winning the blue in two different archery contests, and Ivy… well.. Ivy wasn’t there.”

Ivy sighed. “My mother was, is… ill. I had to be with her, so I sent my competition pieces with Meredith, but I didn’t get to be here.”

Elliot took her hand. “I’m sorry. Is she doing better?”

Ivy smiled at his hand on hers. “She’s… stable. Comfortable. She’s not gravely ill or anything like that, or I wouldn’t be here again this year, but she will never be… I would rather not talk about it. Look, we’re bringing the group down. Different subject!”

Devon helped out. “This is both my and Elliot’s first festival.”

“First? Why haven’t you come before?”

Elliot sighed. “Well, I’ve been abroad on business for the last three years. It is nothing really exciting or anything, just a lot of traveling. Though I do have to say, I’ve been to many countries. Seen a lot of beautiful scenery. Don’t know why for Devon, though.”

“I’ve been busy, honestly. This thing happens in the late fall – and I’m really, really busy this time of year. As I am sure you can guess from this lovely alcohol, I have access to a cherry orchard, and this is harvest time. When Samuel asked me, I found some people to take over the harvest for me.” He stopped and took a long drink before playing another card. “Last Jack! Did I break the rules?”

Ivy thought about it fairly hard. “I’ll give you a pass. There is no way you could make this great sour without access to the ingredients, and you didn’t reveal a last name or if you are landed or titled or anything like that, so I say we’re ok. Everyone agree?”

Everyone raised their glasses in agreement, and enjoyed a long drink of Devon’s cherries.”

“So, you have eyes for Elliot, huh?” Meredith was sitting on her bunk, brushing out her hair. The ladies had said their good evenings to the gentlemen, but finding it hard to turn in, even with the alcohol in their systems. Adina was helping Ivy hang up her dress high above them.

Ivy’s green eyes flashed in surprise, but her cheeks turned bright red. “What? Whatever are you talking about? That is ridiculous.”

Adina gave her an incredulous look. “You offered to help him in the kitchen. You hate kitchen work.”

Meredith joined in. “You made sure you sat next to each other at dinner.”

“And at cards”

Meredith grinned. “And there was no question in the room when I asked, who I was talking to.”

Ivy sighed. “Is it that obvious?”

Adina smiled. “Only to people who know you really well. Your secret is safe with us.”

“For now.”

Ivy face planted in her pillow. “Yes, he is incredibly attractive. Yes, I find myself drawn to him, but you know this won’t work out.” She rolled over, imploring her friends. “These kinds of things never work out. Not with me.”

Adina sighed and sat on Ivy’s bunk. “I know you have had a hard time in the past. I know you, well, don’t want to get hurt again. But he’s a nice guy.”

Meredith called down from her bunk. “Just let things happen. Don’t try or anything, just be yourself this week. If he likes you, too... It’s only one week. It can’t hurt you.”

“So, Elliot, what do you think of Ivy?” Samuel was stretched out on his bottom bunk, looking up at his friend across the room. Devon was already snoring loudly above him.

He glared at his friend, raising an eyebrow. “Why do you ask?”

“Well, she is very pretty. She seems to be a wonderful person. And she made you smile. At least twice. And laugh. It has been a long time since I’ve heard you laugh like that, my friend.”

Elliot laid down his dagger, sighing. “It’s been a long time since I’ve felt I could, honestly. Traveling the last three years helped, I suppose.”

“So you haven’t seen your father since you got back?”

“Once. I had been sending my formal reports back during my travels, so the debriefing was quick. Since you had convinced him that allowing me to the festival was a good political move, I didn’t really need to ask, he just informed me during the debriefing that I had been entered in the ax throwing competition. Said you had made all of the arrangements. Thank you again, for that, by the way.”

“Not a problem. Having the ears of your younger brothers helped. Once I had you convinced, I knew I could convince them, and they in turn your father.”

Elliot grinned. “You sure Devon is the intrigue one of the group? You can be quite the schemer when you want to.”

Samuel laughed. “Everyone looks at me and forgets I have a brain, as well. That doesn’t make me a schemer, I just take advantage of the situation. Devon, he is more of a rogue. That boy gets in more trouble.”

“Didn’t he win his cherry orchard gambling?”

“Well, yeah, but that’s how he has won and lost everything in his life. He mouth gets him in more trouble than he is worth. But this isn’t about him. It’s about you. And Ivy.”

Elliot sighed and raked his hand through his hair. “You know I can’t… get involved.”

Samuel smiled. “You don’t have to get involved. Just be. Let go. It’s only one week, it can’t hurt you.”

No comments:

Post a Comment