Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Novel, day 26

In my continued race to 50k, I wrote 3,700 words today. I surpassed 40 thousand and just kept going! The words "The End" are within sight!!
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

all I hear is ringing in my ears, all I see is rolling white.”
Meredith looked into Elliot’s eyes. “Honestly, it is a blessing. One person, in all the world, who is just a person around me, no matter what.”
“If you swore on your blood, why did the Sisterhood make you try?”
She laughed, a harsh sound. “I had potential, they said. I could have been incredibly strong, swam my life deep within the web, living every possibility of every time every moment of my life. Seen space and time as the Gods see it. That’s how they put it, anyway. By cutting a part of me off so young, my gift could never develop to that level. It denied me the majority of my gift.” She smiled. “Ivy kept me from living in the mind of the Goddess, so I had the opportunity to live my own life. I thank her, the Gods, and the Magdala, every day.” She ran a finger over the scar. “Ivy saved me from a life of insanity, and in exchange, I try my hardest to help her live as close to a normal life as she can.”
Elliot sat in the chair beside her. “Seems like a fair trade to me.”
Meredith shrugged. “It has its good and bad sides. I didn’t know what she intended to do with the hovercraft till she explained it to N’Yami. The new threads that came from that information were the only way I could have known what was happening. I couldn’t See what was happening in the craft. I could only See what options lay in everyone else’s path, but where they intersected with Ivy’s, with the hovercraft, I was blind. I’ve never felt so helpless in all my life.” She took a shaky breath. “My best friend and I couldn’t tell if she was going to live or die, or even what her chances were. I hated it. But that is the price I pay.”
Elliot sighed, and offered her his hand. She took it, smiling. “I am sorry I asked you.”
She shrugged. “It was, in its own way, a selfless request. I don’t get many of those. You are a good person, Elliot. I will Look at one thread for you, if you are really and truly certain, but it can’t involve the Ball. Something else, and it must be as specific as possible, and only if you are certain.”
He thought for a moment. “I could ask if I win tomorrow, but knowledge either way could change my performance. I could ask about my father’s plans, but they are so convoluted. The pins. There are three jeweled pins that will be placed on my father’s map. Where do the pins land?”
She raised her eyebrows. “That is very specific. I should be able to do that. If you are certain.”
Elliot nodded. Meredith situated herself on the table, crossing her legs. Her eyes unfocused, turning into orbs or pure, swirling white. “I see, I see three gems. A diamond. A sapphire. A ruby. The diamond sits just to the east of the Divide, near the Great Pass. The Ruby sits in the deep south of the Eastern kingdoms, where the Deltan tribes roam. The sapphire…” Her eyebrows furrowed, concentration crinkling the corners of her eyes. The white over her eyes rolled, an angry storm. Then she blinked, and her eyes were her eyes again.
“What of the sapphire?”
She paused, gathering her words. “I cannot see where it lands. It is hidden from me, I’m sorry. Perhaps that decision has not yet been made. I can only see threads that are a strong possibility, or items that are set. I’m sorry.”
Elliot nodded. “It’s ok. I knew of the diamond, I saw it myself earlier today. My father said my fate had already been decided, but he didn’t want to speak aloud about it, in case a Far Seer would know.”
Meredith scrunched her face. “That’s not how it works.”
“I know that, but he doesn’t. He doesn’t like the Sisterhood much, and likes to think that he can hide things from them.”
“They probably let him believe that.”
“True. He had said my fate had been decided, just not finalized, and that my brother’s wasn’t finalized yet.” He took a deep breath. “I must be the Ruby, and one of my brothers the sapphire.”
He hopped off the table. “It makes sense. I traveled with Deltans for a large portion of my time abroad. I speak the language, somewhat. I know the foods and the customs.” He looked at the cabin, at the kitchen and the table, the empty sour keg still sitting on the chair. “The Deltan tribe lands are far away. I don’t know how our friendships will last that distance.”
Meredith hopped down from the table, placing a hand on his arm. He looked to her eyes, pain within his own. “We will find a way. Your friendship with Samuel lasted the three years you were gone, it can last now. You can visit. We can visit. I loved that fish stuff N’Yami had yesterday, we could come and you could teach us how to enjoy their spicy fresh fish.”
He laughed, and embraced her in a fierce bear hug. She hugged back, ignoring the tears that fell in her hair, just as he did. After a long moment, they parted, wished each other goodnight, and went to their separate rooms.
Behind the safety of the closed door, Meredith bounced in a tight circle, hands over her mouth to keep silent. Her dance of joy was not missed by Adina, who was mostly asleep anyway. “Wa ya doin?” They weren’t really separate words, but Meredith understood.
“The sapphire, my dear.”
"Hu?”
“All I saw was swirling white; all I heard was ringing.”
Adina grunted something unintelligible as she rolled over, instantly back asleep. Meredith skipped and danced till she was tired enough to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment