Friday, June 8, 2012

Novel, day 7

I have a 4 page outline of where I want the novel to go. I realized today that I'm about half way done with the first page. =)
Now, for your regularly scheduled writings:


She squealed in surprise. Elliot sat, leaning back against the table, and watched her eat. She took several bites before deciding she needed to start conversation.

“This is delicious. I do have one suggestion.” She looked up for a moment, then back at her toast. “You don’t have to be so distaining. Never mind.”

“What?”

Ivy gestured with her fork. “You aren’t interested in my suggestion.”

He raised his eyebrows in surprise. “And you are sure you can’t read minds.?”

Ivy sighed. “No, I can’t. But, I can sense emotions. It’s part of my healer’s gift. And, I can read facial expressions really, really well. It’s a natural talent, not part of my gifts at all.” Ivy focused on her toast. “It came in really handy with my mother. She’s, well, she has been ill. My whole life. Sometimes she is better than others, but you never can tell. I needed all the forewarning I could get when around her.” She looked back up, holding his gaze. “That’s how I knew what was going on with the boy in the Midway. That’s how I win at bluffing games. Between reading tiny expressions and sensing emotions, it’s about as good as being a mind reader.” His expression was all curiosity and intrigue. There was no fear coming from him, either by emotion or on his face. “You’re not afraid, not even a little bit.”

“Why should I be afraid?”

“Meredith says the only people who are afraid when they learn of my gift are those with something to hide. But I’ve never seen someone who was not even a tiny bit afraid.”

“I’m not afraid, but your talent is a bit off. It’s not that I’m not interested in your suggestion. Many people have given me advice on how to improve my cinnamon roll toast, but every suggestion I have tried has not been an improvement.”

Ivy smiled. “Then you misunderstood my offer. I was only going to suggest, from a healer’s perspective, ways to improve its ability to fight nausea. You did say that is why you served this to me.” He smiled, and performed a slight bow of apology. “I would suggest you could add some ginger to the spice mixture. It shouldn’t change the flavor, but it’s medicinal properties in regards to nausea are well documented.” She took another bite. “You might also want to replace any water in the bread with a weak green tea. I doubt that would change the flavor, either, but it could also help calm my stomach.” She starred at the nearly completed meal, smiled, and set about finishing it. “It is very delicious, but, speaking of green tea, I need to be getting on. My teas are being judged today, and I wanted to see Samuel ride.”

Elliot stood, brushing his hands against his flour powdered tunic. “Give me one moment to get changed. I’ll walk with you.” He walked into his bedroom, but didn’t shut the door. Startled, she went to the wall between the rooms and leaned her back against it, assuring herself she wouldn’t see anything she shouldn’t see. Elliot laughed. “I’m just changing my over shirt and cleaning up a bit, come on in.”

She turned, and stood in the doorway, leaning against the jam as Samuel had done the night before. His simple tunic was in a heap on the floor, along with most of the laundry for the boys. Elliot was in his shirtsleeves and breeches, running a brush through his hair. Their eyes met in the reflection in the looking glass. “So, all you girls are Scions, and, from your description of observations last night, I can tell you are all nobility, of one kind or another. I know that you said Scions aren’t as rare as we’ve been led to believe. But that, that has got to be really, really rare.”

Ivy laughed. “Not as much as you would think. There are very, very few Scions born to commoners these days. Way back, the Sisterhood realized that the blessing of the Magdala was only given to females of her line. Whenever a woman of the lineage was found, she would be married to a royal. Back then, it was usually within days. It was said this was to assure that the kingdoms and royal lines would have her blessing. Of course, it was also a strategically sound move. With the women of the royal lines being Scions, well, it gives the nobility advantages. As a whole, we try to keep our abilities from being exploited, but when our families are involved… well, you understand.”

Elliot looked up from lacing up his doublet. “Yes, I understand.” He ran his fingers through his hair one last time and called it good. Ivy stood aside and let him out of the bedroom, and gifted Elliot with a curtsey. He straightened his posture and offered his arm, which she accepted with a flourish. They laughed as they exited the cabin, Ivy locking it behind them.

“I feel like I’ve done all the talking this morning. Tell me more about yourself.”

“What do you want to know?”

“How did you really meet Samuel and Devon? Princes are usually taught by tutors, not in schools.”

Elliot laughed. “This is true. My father wanted my siblings and I to have as normal of a childhood as we could. He said it would be good for our social skills. So my older brother, my younger brother, and I all went to a boarding school. Samuel and Devon were eventually my best friends, and we were rooming together. They didn’t know I was a prince. No one there did. Then… then my mother died shortly after giving birth to my youngest brother. My father was devastated. More importantly, he refused to believe it was an accident, and became very paranoid. He sent for us immediately; had us brought back to the kingdom & the castle, to be sure that we were safe.”

No comments:

Post a Comment