Sunday, June 10, 2012

Novel, Day 10

This is the first thousand for the day. Yes, there is a kissing scene that happens between my last thousand posted, and no, I am not going to post it. If you want to read it, send me a personal message or write in the comments. I am looking for volunteer editors to help get the piece finalized, once July comes around.
= = = = = = = =

“Spill.”

“What? I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

“Bull testicles.” Adina was nothing if not blunt. “Yesterday your auras were all cute and cuddling, but today they are linked. There are threads! Multiple threads! What happened?!”

Ivy sighed. “Elliot cornered me in the main room in the middle of the night. I was coming back from the privy, he thought I was an intruder. We… shared a moment.”

“From the look of your auras, it was a really, really long moment.”

Ivy blushed. “Yes, yes it was.”

Her friends squealed in excitement.

“I’m not keeping my hopes up. I still know things are too new. But… I might inform my father of a possible suitor.”

Meredith skipped in a circle. “Oh, my love, if I could See your future I would look for you. I would look just to know for myself!”

“Spill”

Elliot looked at Devon, slightly confused. Samuel smacked Elliot on the back, beaming at his friend. “You and Ivy. You can’t keep your hands or your eyes off of each other. You were still dancing around each other yesterday, and today it’s a completely different story. You’re acting like a moron around her. What happened?”

Elliot sighed. “Last night, I thought someone had broken into our cabin. Turns out it was Ivy. We…” he ran his hands through his hair. “Dearest Goddess, just her touch…”

The boys grinned.

Devon elbowed him in the arm. “So, didn’t work in getting her out of your system, huh?”

Samuel biffed Devon on the back of the head. Elliot sighed. “We just kissed, ok? Nothing like that.”

Devon nodded like he understood. “Ah, just priming the pump, then? Getting a taste made you want her all the more.”

“Seriously, how did we become friends?” Samuel made to cuff Devon again, but Elliot raised his hand & stopped them.

“It’s ok Samuel. He’s somewhat correct, though horribly crass about it. Kissing her last night just made things more… real. It made my feelings for her stronger, that’s for certain.”

The two groups found each other again back at the food carts. They found a table in the shade, and ate together, laughing and joking. Elliot announced that he would have to be leaving to warm up soon, and everyone else wished him well in his competition, assuring him that they would be in the stands, watching. Before he left, Ivy pulled him aside.

“I have something for you”

“Oh?”

“Its customary for a lady to give her knight a token to take into battle. I know this isn’t exactly battle but… Here, I want you to have this.”

Ivy handed Elliot a handkerchief of delicate thin white linen. Embroidered in the corners were swirls of tiny green ivy. Elliot tentatively held the fabric, fascinated.

“It’s beautiful. Thank you.” He slipped the fabric into a pocket on his doublet. He looked into Ivy’s eyes, smiling at her. “As is customary, I will dedicate my victory in battle to the lady whose favor I carry.” He reached up and gently tucked a stray lock of her hair back behind her ear. “I will see you after the competition.”

“Yes,” She said, leaning her head against his touch. “After the competition.”

Elliot was in the corridors within the arena, walking to the preparation area for the ax throwing competition, when he heard a voice that made his blood run cold. He froze in his tracks, molded his face into a practiced mask of empty calm, and turned around.

A man slightly taller than Elliot with short cropped grey hair and piercing blue eyes walked toward him, with three retainers shadowing behind him. He walked with a purpose, and arrogance, as though he controlled everything he could see. The thin circlet of gold and jewels upon his brow was out of place in this environment, though Elliot had to admit, it was probably his most modest crown.

“Father? I’m surprised to see you here.”

King XYZ (as yet unnamed) smiled at his son. “Of course. Once your brothers convinced me of the strategic value of participating in this Festival, I decided I must see it for myself. Just think of the opportunities! Instead of recruiting the best gem cutter or metallurgist in our kingdom, I can find and recruit the best of several kingdoms!” The king had only paused for a moment, then continued walking, expecting his son to fall in step, which he did. “Our relations with the western kingdoms have been sorely lax. This has been a wonderful opportunity for us.”

“Your majesty, where are you staying? In one of the Cabins?”

He laughed. “Oh, no. There are suites available for visiting dignitaries. They circle the top of the main stadium, and come with private seating for viewing the games. Your friend Duke Samuel did well in the jousting this morning. It also has been a wonderful opportunity to socialize with other dignitaries from the Western kingdoms. Speaking of which,” The King stopped, and turned to his son. Elliot stood there, a mask of calm indifference on his face, his hands in his pockets, Ivy’s token in his hand. “I have been in conference with the other kings of the realm who are in attendance, and making plans for our kingdom’s future. Now that you have seen the world and have had the opportunity to get some of your… youthful urges out of your system, it is getting time for you to settle down. Oh, I have big plans for you, son!”

Elliot fidgeted with the embroidery in his pocket. “What are your plans, father?”

The King laughed in a jolly way. “Nothing is written with blood, so they will be revealed in good time, but I am sure that you, my son, will be most pleased. Now, this is your stop, yes? I look forward to seeing you in the ax competition. You represent our country, and I know you will make me proud.” The king beamed at his second son, the dutiful prince, patting him on the shoulder.

Elliot bowed as his king took his leave “Your will is my command, father”

He was crushing the handkerchief in his fist.

No comments:

Post a Comment