Thursday, June 21, 2012

Novel, day 20

This is actually the first thousand words from yesterday. Problem is, I couldn't post them yesterday, and I was so busy today I haven't even written one word. grr.
= = = = = = = = =

Meredith scoffed. “You are certainly in a good mood.”

“Painkillers. My own recipe, actually. I hadn’t anticipated this side effect, but I don’t see any damage in people who were once in pain now being slightly giddy.”

Adina smiled. “I see they let you use your own quilt.”

Ivy smiled. “Earlier this morning, a donation coordinator came around, asking people if they would be willing to donate their competition submissions to help the injured. When I told him he could have everything of mine, especially the medicinal tea, he came back later with my quilt. Said I looked cold, and a nice lady had donated the quilt, and would I like it.” Ivy smoothed her hand over the fabric. “Wasn’t that nice of him?”

Meredith patted her hand. “Yes it was.”

Ivy held her gaze. “I know you all are worried about me, and want to be here for me, but don’t know what to do or say. It happens inside infirmaries, I understand. Go. I will be fine.”

Elliot interrupted. “I actually had something I wanted to talk about. Samuel and I both do.”

Samuel nodded. “We… we need to know, to understand how this happened. Please.”

Ivy nodded, and gestured for Elliot to sit on the foot of the bed. Adina stood and closed the curtain behind them, letting Samuel have her chair, and she sat on Ivy’s left, at the head of the bed.

Meredith began. “Please understand, this is sensitive, not just for you but for all of us. Please try to keep our voices from carrying too far.”

Ivy nodded. “The only people in the room right now are us and the other patients, and they are all in a sedated sleep, but should they waken, or someone else enter, I will warn you.” He looked at Elliot, at the pain in him. “Please ask whatever you need to. I will be as truthful as I am able.”

“You intend to lie to us?”

“No, I am acknowledging that I do not know all the answers.”

“Meredith is a Far Seer. Did you see this coming?”

Meredith took a deep breath. “No, and yes.” Samuel stiffened beside her. “Please, listen. I Saw that the tech would be here. I knew logically that someone, probably several, would end up being tempted. I didn’t know who. When Devon talked about the sideshow after the first day, I realized he was one of them. We tried to dissuade him in our conversation. It seemed to work, he didn’t bring it up again around us, and I didn’t See him around it again. Something must have changed recently. I didn’t See that Devon had made that decision till it was too late.” Samuel eased, wrapping his arm around Meredith. She hugged him back, fiercely. “I would never have let anything happen to anyone if it could be avoided.”

Elliot seemed confused. “But if you knew, logically, that someone would be tempted, why couldn’t this be stopped?”

“Usually the temptation is nothing more than a minor siphon. A hand brushes a weapon, and it drains a small amount of their energy, maybe enough to turn on, usually it’s just stored in the machine. It takes so many siphons over a very long time to get enough energy to turn on at all, but to do what Devon did…”

Ivy finished for Adina. “It had to have been siphoning off of hundreds of people for generations. Once Meredith realized there was a whole ship, and that it was that dangerous, we reported it. The Sisterhood had asked the sideshow owner to close the attraction, hoping that would protect people from it. They were going to buy the tech from him, so it could be disassembled and melted down, but they didn’t get the chance.”

“Closing the booth obviously wasn’t enough.”

“Has something like this ever happened before?”

Adina shrugged. “There are tall tales among the sisterhood of tech running amok in the decades after magic’s removal. The Sisterhood made finding tech and melting it down a priority, not just to protect people, but because high quality metal was hard to come by. I haven’t heard of a piece of tech big enough to be an actual threat in living memory.”

Ivy nodded. “The beginning of A M was a dark age. We are told that many people took their lives, rather than live without their magic. Those that survived had to live without the machines. Imagine, a life where everyone could drive around in one of those hovercrafts. No need for horses, or carriages.”

“Yes, but that way led extinction. Think of everyone having access to the destructive power of that thing. It was only on for, what? An hour? Two? And in that time, it was never at full capacity. How many died in that time? How many ended up in here?”

Ivy’s eyes glossed over. “137. One hundred and thirty seven people died, not counting those who will probably not make it through the day today. An additional approximate 500 were injured severely enough to need medical attention, some from the device itself, but some from being trampled by the crowd as people tried to escape.”

Samuel held Meredith tighter. “Dearest Goddess. That… that is an awful lot.”

Meredith sighed. “It could have been much, much worse. There are over a hundred THOUSAND people in attendance this year, not counting the people working here. That’s more people than live in my home country. There were… threads, possibilities… where everyone died.”

The group sat in silence for a while.

“Is there anything else?” Ivy looked at Elliot. “I want to do everything I can to help you both through this.”

He looked at the blanket. The patchwork was of autumn leaves, the stitch work all spirals and tiny stars. “No, not right now.”

Ivy smiled. “Well, if that changes, you know where to find me.”

No comments:

Post a Comment