Thursday, June 14, 2012

Novel, Day 14

I have not been having a good time getting to my writing lately. I blame work. Dang work. anyway, the last 1000 words for today:
= = = = = = = = = =

so I have been trained with all the knowledge that would entail, but I’m also the second son.” He paused, this discussion obviously becoming painful. “I may be using others without my own conscious knowledge, My youngest brother is that way. But I know, and have experienced in my life, that I am to be used, not the user.”

Meredith put a hand on Elliot’s arm, trying to comfort him. “We are not going to use you, Elliot. It is not in our nature.”

Aidna pondered for a moment. “I can empathize with how you feel. I often feel like my gifts are using me, and have even had moments when I was angry with the Sisterhood, for I felt they were using me.” She paused. “But we learn in Scion training that the most powerful motivation is internal. Others can use you, can try and make you do something, but they are trying to use power over you. The only person who has power to control who you are, or what you actually is YOU. If others use you, it is because you allow them to.”

“It’s a bit more complicated than that.”

“I understand you are a prince, and thereby honor bound to do what your father tells you to do. He’s trained you your whole life to do what he says, and you probably will, because you feel you should. But he only has power over you because you choose to let him. No one else, not us, not your other friends, not your subjects or your brothers can tell you what is right, what you will and will not do. You must make that choice for yourself.”

Samuel, knowing what Elliot must be thinking at that moment, tried to divert the subject. “But what does that have to do with Ivy’s altruism?”

Meredith answered. “She heals the sick and teaches others how to heal themselves not because that is her gift. Not because she can gain anything from it, to gain political power or influence. She doesn’t charge people, though she has had to say no more than once. There is only so much even she can do. She does it because she WANTS to. She is going to be in the infirmary, volunteering, for the next few hours, along with the rest of the panel members, attempting to heal the people there, not because she should or because it is required of panel members. She is doing it because she sees suffering and cannot abide it’s continued existence.”

“Growing up wasn’t easy for her. Yes, she is privileged with her station and gifts, but her mother’s illness has weighed heavily on her. Even with all the hard times and pain she went through because of it, she is still a good, giving, loving person. It is in her nature. It’s not only who she chooses to be, it is in her nature. She would have difficulty choosing to be anything else.”

Meredith put her hand on Elliot’s arm, keeping him looking in her eyes. “I know you may feel the pawn. But I can See that inside, you are a good person. An honorable person. You may do what you are told, but you have your own influence, too, and you use it selflessly. Even pawns have the abilities to do good, to be good people.”

The archery semi-finals were late enough in the evening that Adina had time to go back to the cabin and change between Ivy’s debate and her competition. The ladies made plans to meet with the men later, leaving them alone in the midway. They wandered, trying to find ways to cheer up Elliot, when Devon suggested they go to the side show tent he had talked about earlier. When they got to the tent, the barker was gone, and the tent was closed. However the paintings of the wondrous contraptions inside were still up.

“I’m, I’m not even sure what I’m looking at.”

“That thing looks kind of like a sled? With glass wings? Maybe?”

“Well, that there is obviously some kind of helmet. It has a similar shape to the one I wear in jousting. But the front visor is glass instead of metal? That’s not practical at all! One head blow and your face would be ribbons.”

“The barker had said the glass was shatterproof!”

“Shatterproof glass? That’s just plain absurd.”

“I still have no idea what so ever what that thing is supposed to be.”

“I think the girls are right, this has got to be some kind of hoax.”

“Why do you think that?”

“Well, look at the helmet. I could probably build something like that, and I know very little of anything about working metal. And the glass front? That’s obviously fake. No one who works with or around armor would even think that is a good idea.”

“And that thing with the wings, or whatever? It looks like, what, padded benches encased in black metal? With wings? It doesn’t make any sense at all.”

“Guys, these are just the paintings, probably made by the carnival barker guy himself. The items themselves must be much better.”

“I doubt it.”

Elliot pondered for a bit. “Though I agree that it’s probably a hoax, I have to admit it is an intriguing sounding one. I wouldn’t mind looking at it tomorrow, once it’s open.”

Devon giddily hopped from foot to foot. “Let’s look now!”

“What?”

It’s only a tent! It’s not like it is stone walls or something. We just unlace a seam and walk inside.”

“No, even if it is a hoax, I’m not going to rob the sideshow barker of the few coppers. We’ll come back tomorrow. When they’re open.”

Devon pouted, but left with his friends.
Adina’s archery contest went as well as anyone could hope for. Though it was only the semifinals, she came in first, assuring herself not just a spot in the finals, but choice of when in the lineup she would shoot.

No comments:

Post a Comment