Monday, June 25, 2012

Novel, day 25

In order to make my goal of 50k by the 30th, I have to write a LOT of words daily. So, to try and catch up, I wrote more than three thousand today. My hands are tired, I'm calling it a night.
= = = = = = = = = = = = =
Yes! A toast is in order!”
Adina smiled. “I know where some fine mead is being sold. I shall be right back.”
Meredith and Samuel took each other’s hands. “Yes! We will join you!”
Before Ivy or Elliot knew what was happening, they were gone, leaving them alone. They both were uncomfortable, unsure of what to say. Ivy tried. “Yes, congratulations.”
Elliot sighed. “I wasn’t expecting fake enthusiasm, any more than I was fake pity. I… I don’t know what to say.”
Ivy reached out, and took Elliot’s hand in her good one. “I understand. We have duties, responsibilities, which we cannot escape.” As she finished talking, her eyes were drawn to a nurse at the curtain.
“You have another visitor.”
Ivy nodded. “You should go. I’ve been expecting my father – he always comes right before his dinner. Go and celebrate your new life tonight.”
Elliot nodded, kissed the back of her hand, and took his leave. As he left, he caught a glimpse of an older, kind looking gentleman with long hair. However, he wasn’t certain. His eyes were tearing up, and focusing was difficult.
~~~
Ivy tried to straighten up on her bed as her father entered the room. She had been debating her father’s offer, and Elliot’s confession had helped to make her decision easier. After all, she has duties, responsibilities, which she cannot escape.
“Hello, my little sun blossom. How are you feeling today?”
“Good, father! Better every day.”
“Who was that young man leaving as I came by?”
“Oh? Just a friend, one of the guys from the cabin. He popped in to let me know how the competitions were going. Are you enjoying yourself?”
“Yes! Today was a good day. I’ve decided that continuing the festival was a good idea after all. Each area has found their own way to honor and respect the situation.”
Ivy took her father’s hands in hers. “I’m glad you came to peace with that. I know it was weighing heavily on you yesterday.”
He nodded. “I had thought that continuing would be disrespectful, but I talked with Gethin, and he helped convince me that these people were here for this festival. They would have wanted it to continue in their absence.”
Ivy wrinkled her nose. “Jareth’s father? Why do you continue to talk to that man?”
Her father laughed. “Jareth was a moron, but his father is still the Storm King, and still occasionally has good advice.”
Ivy shrugged. “I still have my reservations.”
“I highly doubt Gethin sent him to court you, knowing he would hurt you. He had thought that an alliance by marriage would be good for our two kingdoms, and I had agreed. But with Jareth being his only son, that is now not going to happen.” Ivy shuddered. Her father squeezed her hand. “If it makes you feel any better, his father’s fury when his son returned, dishonored, far exceeded even my own when I expelled him from the kingdom.”
Ivy raised an eyebrow. “That would be quite impressive.”
A devious smile entered the king’s eyes. “His pain and punishment shall enter the halls of legend, my dear.”
Ivy sighed, that confirmation lightening her somewhat. She wasn’t a vindictive or vengeful person, but she was a woman. No matter how kind and compassionate she was, hearing of the pain of those who had hurt her badly calmed the vengeful goddess that resides within every woman’s heart.
“Speaking of suitors, I wanted to talk with you, father.”
The king shifted, his full attention on her.
“The gentleman I had… well… my prior possibility was never really a possibility. I’ve been giving this a lot of thought. I know you and mother had an arranged marriage, and still found love with each other over time. I am hoping I will have the same luck you did.” She took a deep breath. “I am open to an arranged marriage.”
The king let out a long held breath. “I am so very pleased to hear that. The council will be, as well.” He squeezed her hand. “Will signing the contract at the Ball be too soon? I know it is only two days away, but it would be so much better if we could have your engagement announced on the same day as your crowning.”
Ivy sat for a moment, letting the shock roll through her. So soon. “You have someone lined up already?”
Her father at least had the decency to blush. “I had something in the wings. It was never written in blood, always with a caveat. I hoped that you would find your own way, but… I have someone lined up already, yes.”
Ivy sighed. “Have you met him? Do you know anything about him?”
Her father shrugged. “I haven’t met him, no. I met his father. Good man, a bit over focused, but decent enough. I don’t want to get into the boring details, but his father is very excited about an alliance between our kingdoms.”
Ivy nodded. “I suppose it’s best that I don’t know too much going into this. I don’t want any preconceived notions.” She knew what the boring details probably entailed. The price tag coming with her contract would be substantial. Not every kingdom could afford to marry one of their sons to a crowned princess. Those that could would be weighing the pros and cons to losing one of their sons to a seaport kingdom. Their capital was poised at the mouth of the largest river on the western side of the continent. Access to that river could potentially open trade with the eastern kingdoms, as the river was one of the three ways across the continent. Access to that waterway may come with other ties. The bargaining and haggling would be nauseating to her, and she was glad to not be a part of it. She was certain that knowing how much she cost her future groom’s kingdom would only put things off to a bad start.

No comments:

Post a Comment